Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Service of Prayer

I've learned that sometimes service doesn't come in the usual forms.  I'm not a doctor so if someone is physically sick, I can't fix that (if a nice pot of chicken soup isn't going to do the trick).  If someone is emotionally hurting, I don't always know what to say to that person to give them comfort.  And sometimes someone is too far away for me to directly help them.  I have learned though, that one of the best things I can do for someone is to pray for them.
"Jesus prayed for others and so can you."
Sometimes through prayer, I am able to receive inspiration of what I can do for someone else.  Our Heavenly Father wants us to help others, and He knows how we can.  When we turn to Him, He can let us know how.  And sometimes those prayers are the only thing we are supposed to do for the time being.
I took some time today to really pray for some people that I have a responsibility to serve.  And that's all I need to say about that.

On a related note, sometimes you can physically help someone.  Jr. has been an example of that lately.  Lately he has been coming to me and asking, "Mom, how can I help you?"  Sometimes he just sees something that needs to be done and does it.  I'll often hear him say as he's working on something, "LIGHTtheWORLD."
This evening he saw that I was going to be making a treat to take to Girls' Night, he looked at the recipe, and started getting out ingredients to make it.  Then he helped make it, even though it was something I was going to be taking to others and wasn't making for him directly.  What a good example this boy is being of following Jesus by serving others.  I am so grateful for him.

1 comment:

  1. December 8 was National Brownie Day so that's why I made that particular treat for Girls' Night. Bunny Blondies from the September 2012 issue of FamilyFun Magazine.

    ReplyDelete