Thursday, January 2, 2014

Science Fiction Day 2014

Today, January 2, for Science Fiction Day the kids and I had a little discussion about genres.  We talked a little bit about fantasy vs. science fiction.  I mentioned that Pirates of the Caribbean would be considered fantasy where Star Wars would be considered science fiction.  Jr. then came up with the brilliant idea of celebrating by playing Lego Star Wars on the Wii.  So I let the kids play after they picked up some of the living room and vacuumed.

I spent a good amount of time watching Doctor Who for Science Fiction Day.  Apparently since it's the New Year, now I'm on a Christmas kick.  I watched several Christmas episodes of Doctor Who.
And now that the day is almost done, Jeremy and I are going to wind down by watching a "Sci-Fi Classic," The Giant Gila Monster.  I think I was first introduced to this movie on Mystery Science Theater 3000.  That shows you what kind of movie it is.  Several years ago we got a DVD with two of those kinds of movies.  The Giant Gila Monster and Creature from the Haunted Sea.  Every once in a while, you just want to watch a hokey sci-fi monster movie.  Especially when you have an excuse like Science Fiction Day.
Happy celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment