Friday, September 7, 2012

And Then There Are Those Other Celebrations

Yesterday, I mentioned on this blog about how some celebrations take planning and effort and some celebrations are easy because we just do what we normally do.  Then there are those times when there is planning, but it doesn't exactly come together as planned.
Today, September 7, 2012, is the 85th anniversary of when Philo T. Farnsworth showed a working electronic television.  Now TV is great, right?  But do we really need to celebrate this Philo T. Farnsworth guy?  Well, yes.  In my family, we do.  It was an important thing for everyone in my family growing up to know who Philo T. Farnsworth was.  Not just because we like TV, but because Philo T. Farnsworth was my grandma's cousin.  See, it's Family History.

So I had things planned to celebrate today.  After a lovely breakfast of breakfast burritos (thanks, Jeremy.  You're my hero), the older kids went to school.

Then the younger kid and we parents went shopping and to the library where we checked out some books about television inventions and inventors.  I intended to read with the kids after school about Philo T. Farnsworth and talk about how we're related and that he is known as the "father of television."

I also planned to make a pie when Jr. got home from school.  Mmmm.  Strawberries were on sale this week.
It took longer than I expected.  After two attempts baking the crust (see, it happens to all of us- not just with birthday cakes),

and a few hours of cooling later, we ended up with a nice looking strawberry pie (thanks, Mom, for the recipe, and for letting me call you countless times to double check on things).  It tasted so good.
We invited some friends over to enjoy it with us, so by the end of the day, we didn't have time to sit down together to read about Philo T. Farnsworth.
So not exactly what I had planned for today.  I browsed through the library books myself and the kids can look at them later.
But hey, we had pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment