Friday, December 18, 2020

Two Birds with One Stone

"Kristin the Human. What's your favorite color?" I waited all day for someone to call so I could answer the phone that way. December 18 is Answer the Phone Like Buddy the Elf Day. At the end of the day, I finally got my wish when Jeremy called so we could all do family prayer together. His response when I asked? "Green like a Christmas tree." Woohoo. While he was gone the kids and I watched the movie Elf and ate spaghetti... with spaghetti sauce... and maple syrup on it. That's what Buddy gives his dad's wife for breakfast in the movie. I told the kids they all had to have sauce on the spaghetti since we were doing it because of the movie. They all did even if for some it was very little. My pickiest eater kept coming back for more helpings (including the sauce).
Every year I'm determined to read A Christmas Carol to my kids. I've never read the whole book to them even though I try practically every year. This year, though, I am doing it- a little bit every day. We're almost finished. Tonight I sat down with the kids in front of The Piano Guy's Yule Log and when we were ready we muted the music and I read to them. #LightTheWorld says, "Make time for children like Jesus did. Read a beloved children's story to a child."
Like the Summer Reading Program, we're now doing a Winter Reading Challenge with the Provo Library, since the kids will have two weeks without homework during Christmas vacation to read. One of the activities is to "read a book by the fireplace." Ta-da. Two birds with one stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment