Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Love Mom and Dad

Some years for LightTheWorld I'm really on top of doing something nice when it suggests recognizing your parents. Sometimes I think ahead and send them a letter to be opened on that particular day. Sometimes I don't do as well and call them last minute. Some years I might not do anything because I'm too sick to do anything at all.

This year I was on top of things. "Love Mom and Dad." I wanted to show love for both my parents and my in-laws. I drove to a park one day and had some quiet time to express my gratitude to both sets of parents through letters. Jeremy and I express often to one another how glad we both are to have such good relationships with our spouse's parents. Later the kids contributed drawings and notes to the back of the letters I wrote. Then I mailed them with instructions written on the envelope for them to read the letters on December 15.

Today I also called to chat with my parents. I love my parents. They are terrific. I'm so glad they raised all of us, my siblings and me. I'm glad they've had such a strong marriage for so many years. I'm glad they've set a good example in many ways.

Photo credit goes to my awesome photographer sister, Kimber Hodson. Check out her website- kimberhodson.com

I'm glad I thought to send letters to both sets of parents. Last night for #LightTheWorld there was a virtual concert called "Social Sing and Serve." Some well known online artists shared sing-along Christmas songs and suggestions for giving service. One of the suggested pieces of service was to write a letter to parents and mail it off. Ha Ha. I had already mailed mine. My parents did open it the next day and enjoyed the pictures and notes from their grandkids (and from me).

I was in the middle of making dinner when I had to deal with something so Jr., without being asked, took over and finished making dinner which we ate while watching the concert. Thank you so much for setting the tone with service, Jr. It was pleasant to hear Lucky singing along with some of the songs. That got Jet humming as well. I love music and good quality family time.

The "Social Sing and Serve" was one of the nightly virtual concerts that have been on since the beginning of the month. After it was over, our ward had its own virtual Christmas party. A few people spoke and we watched some videos including some submitted by ward members about favorite Christmas traditions. We submitted a video about our advent calendar tradition- countdown to Christmas scripture study.

It's been a good couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment