Thursday, December 27, 2018

A Relaxing Day

December 26 was Wren Day.  Nichole and Jeremy went out looking for a wren but didn't find one.  They did find a hummingbird, though.
December 26 was also National Candy Cane Day.  They boys decided to celebrate by decorating themselves with candy canes.

Today was nice.  Jeremy and I decided to celebrate Wren Day Observed.  We went for a walk along the Provo River Parkway.  It was snowing and it was cold but it was completely worth it.
We saw chickadees, flickers, robins, spotted towhees, mallards, coots, some goldeneyes, downy woodpeckers.  We also saw some white-breasted nuthatches and brown creepers.  I hadn't seen any creepers yet this year (in Utah) so it was so nice to see a bunch of them chasing each other around on the trees.

And yes, we got our wren.  It was a Winter Wren, which is not a bird normally found in Utah. 
Kind of like the yellow-bellied sapsucker we saw back in January.  Jeremy saw it while on a birding field trip.  I went out to find it and it took me three tries and many hours standing around until somebody happened to mention it was on the opposite side of the cemetery from where I was looking (and where Jeremy saw it).  There were a bunch of us birders looking for it so several of us did get to see it.  Now that again is the difference between a birdwatcher and a birder.  Someone who goes out to see birds versus someone who stands around in the cold January weather for hours waiting for a bird to show up.  When it doesn't, that someone comes back again and again until they find it.
Back to today and Wren Day Observed.  We got our Winter Wren.  It was so nice to come and pose for us.  So worth the cold.
We stopped by the place for the hummingbird, just in case, but it was snowing quite a bit so we weren't surprised when we didn't see it.  It was probably hunkered down hiding.
It was a nice relaxing outing with my husband.
This is me so happy with the birds we saw.

We ran some errands and when we got home, I made hot chocolate for the kids and I sat down with my new rice warmer and mug of mint herbal tea.  Mmmmmm.  So relaxing.
I've enjoyed my bonding time with my husband today and how relaxing things have been.  Ahhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment