Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012

We survived Halloween this year.  Phew.  It was kind of rough for a little bit.  There's still some recovery to do from this weekend.  Nichole did get to go to school today and Jr. Jr. and I went to the school parade to watch Nichole and Jr.
I had a late night and early morning last night and today, though, finishing up Jr.'s costume and trying to get Jr. Jr. to sleep.  He just would not.  Jr. did the Batman thing when we went to our friend's Halloween party, but wanted to be a wizard for school and Trunk or Treat.  Luckily, we did simple costumes this year. 
I didn't sew new outfits for the kids, we did thrift store shopping for Nichole's skirt and shirt and she wore my witch hat, and I used construction paper and felt for Jr.'s costume.  I used brown construction paper for the hat and cut out white stars and moon shapes to glue on.  Then I took the elastic from an old birthday cone hat and put it on his wizard's hat.  Then I used his Jedi robe from last year and safety pinned white felt stars and moon shapes to it.

Jeremy and I thought it would be fun to do theme costumes for Jr. Jr., Jeremy, and me.  Jeremy was going to be an old-timey villain, I was going to be the damsel in distress, and Jr. Jr. was going to be "my hero."  Also simple with things we had on hand (except for the rope, which we bought).  I was going to make railroad tracks out of cardboard and duct tape to tie me to, but as you know, things got kind of crazy and I ran out of time.  It still worked because we had the rope and Jeremy looked good as the villain.
Jr. Jr. fell asleep as it got closer to Trunk or Treat, and I was not going to wake him up to put his outfit on (especially since we ran out of time). 

I just grabbed one of our superhero capes and put that on him when we got to Trunk or Treat.  He's 2.  He doesn't care.  And he still got to be the hero.  He was just excited about the whole "Trick or Treat" thing.  It was amazing to him how many people were putting things in his bag.

I decided early on in the day that I wasn't going to stress out about Halloween, and I didn't.  There were times I felt rushed, but I knew it would turn out a good day, and it did.

By the way, it's also National Knock-Knock Jokes Day, so just like I did last year, I wrote knock-knock jokes on ziplock bags that held some of Nichole's lunch items.  She was pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment