Saturday, October 13, 2012

Family

You know those relatives- that extended family- who, even after years of not seeing each other, you can easily feel comfortable with?  I have some of those.

I have a cousin who was dating his wife at the same time I was dating Jeremy.  Both she and Jeremy were accepted into the family from the first time they visited my grandma's house for a family get-together.  They were family.  Besides dating at the same time, we also all got married the same year.
I've always felt close to my cousin's wife.  She really does feel like family, so when we had the opportunity to spend a couple days at their house in Wyoming this Summer, it's no wonder she and I spent the whole time talking.  We didn't run out of things to say.
My kids were thrilled because they have kids the same age, cool electronic toys, and a trampoline.


Today, we had the opportunity to go to Wyoming to support those cousins again when their oldest son was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It was a special experience and we were so glad to be there with them.  Because my cousin lives within driving distance of all his siblings and parents, I got to see my aunt and uncle and all their kids and grandkids, as well.  That was fun.
It was also my cousin's birthday, so we got to celebrate two wonderful things in the same day.  Lunch with a big group, cake, play time for the kids, and socializing for the adults.
 
It was a beautiful day for the trip.  We headed out as the sun was coming up over the hills so there was a beautiful light on the fall colors as we drove through Provo Canyon.  Yes, there are still fall colors, even though it snowed on the tops of some of the hills recently.  We actually had Fall this year and it's lasted more than a week.

It was a beautiful drive, and was just as beautiful driving back.  We got some rain as we traveled, a very pleasant rain that made everything feel fresh.  The sun shining through the clouds at times was brilliant. 

As I told Jeremy, I may not be an artist who can capture these things on canvas or paper (or with a camera), and I'm not a writer who can capture these things with eloquent words (the term "eloquent" is about my limit to eloquence), but I believe Heavenly Father has given me a gift to be able to appreciate these beautiful sights in nature.  And to acknowledge that they are His creations.
I also believe He has given me a gift to love family.  And I do.

It was a good family day.

No comments:

Post a Comment