Saturday, October 6, 2012

For Jeremy, about General Conference

Jeremy, since you had to work during General Conference today, I thought I'd share some highlights:

Wonderful talks of course.  President Uchtdorf reminded us again to be happy regardless of our circumstances.  The Proclamation was quoted several times.  President Monson announced two new temples and announced a change in the age that young men and women can go on missions.  Worthy young men who have graduated from high school or the equivalent can now go as early as 18 years old, and young women who choose to go can go as early as 19 years old.

Of course we had adventures at home, too.  I made 7 layer bean dip.  Have some.  It's yumm.

Nichole and Jr. both got BINGO on their Conference Squares activity pages, so they got M&Ms. 
Here's the between sessions scene.

I asked Nichole and Jr. what they learned from the first session.
Jr.:  To not do bad things.
Nichole:  Repentance.
Good job, kids.

Then before the second session started-

Mommy:  Jr., what do you hope to get out of the second session of General Conference.
Jr.:  M&Ms.
He didn't.  He got those earlier.

Despite the inspired talks about family and rearing children, I'm still not perfect and Jr. and I didn't get along the whole time.  Jr. was sent to his room and because he was mad at me, he stuck his legs through the bars of Jr. Jr.'s bed and got stuck.  Very stuck.

Apparently, he put quite a bit of effort in getting one his legs through, and it took a lot more effort to get it out.

Thanks for the tip about using dish soap to grease things up (without the grease) to make it slide easier.  That did the trick, although I let him know beforehand that if I had to break the bars of the bed in order to get his leg out, he would have to pay for it.  But he's okay and we got along the rest of the time.  We both apologized and forgave each other.  Repentance was another theme during Conference.  But I missed all of Elder Ballard's talk and some of the talks before and after his, so remind me to watch those with you when you catch up on the sessions you missed.

Jr. Jr. fell asleep during the second session.


Here's the after the second session scene.

I asked Nichole and Jr. again what they learned in the second session.

Jr.:  To love children.
Nichole:  Yeah, to love children.  Oh and... there's something more important than to get five candy bars for the movies.  (see Robert C. Gay's talk in the Saturday afternoon session).
Yay, kids.

I am really looking forward to watching both sessions with you tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. The bean dip was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Nichole's candy bar comment. She really was listening.

      Delete
  2. I asked the kids after the last session what they learned from General Conference today. Nichole looked at the floor and mumbled that she didn't really pay attention, she spent most of the time in her room playing. I laughed because I knew she spent most of the time playing. I told the kids that was fine today, because they showed me that they did get something out of it yesterday (and two days of General Conference is a lot for kids). And there was a point when Nichole was in the kitchen that she heard someone quote, "If ye love me, keep my commandments," and she came running out of the kitchen yelling, "Hey, that's my favorite scripture." So, she was still getting something out of it, even if she wasn't actively paying attention. Which is a reminder that we really do need to make sure we have good things in our home. Because even if they're not actively trying to pay attention, something is still getting to them.

    ReplyDelete