Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Generous Thought

In the September 2009 Relief Society Broadcast (part of the October 2009 General Conference), Sister Beck shared the following about welfare and compassionate service:

"Our compassionate service and assistance with the welfare needs of individuals and families are an outgrowth of visiting teaching. A Relief Society president learns of the needs of people in her ward through visiting teachers and her own visits to ward members. Sometimes she organizes us to help others, and at other times we serve “according to [our] natures,” following the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Many years ago I learned from Sister Camilla Kimball, wife of President Spencer W. Kimball, to “never suppress a generous thought.” By following her counsel, we can know with certainty that our Father in Heaven knows us personally because He sends us to be His hands and heart to those in need. As we do so, our faith in Him is strengthened. "

I've always liked that quote from Sister Kimball- "Never suppress a generous thought." My husband and I often quote it to each other when we've spoken out loud something we've thought of doing for someone else. We've found it a blessing to support each other in this way.
One day, Jeremy asked me to sew a rice warmer (you know- heat it up in the microwave then use it to warm whatever body parts you need- sometimes it's just relaxing) for one of the sisters he home taught who had been troubled with arthritis during the winter.

I was able to base it on a rice warmer a friend gave me for Christmas one year, with four sections so the rice doesn't get bunched up in one area. When Jeremy took it over to the sister, she was so happy. It was just what she needed. As soon as he left, she immediately put it in the microwave to use it.
I am grateful for those opportunities to support my husband when he is prompted to do good and I appreciate that he does the same for me.

1 comment: