Monday, November 6, 2017

Celebrating with Books

Here's a way to catch up.  There have been a lot of holidays lately that could be celebrated with books so I did some planning and checking out books from the library to prepare.  I'll let you know what those holidays are and suggestions for books to read to celebrate.
October 21 was Reptile Awareness DayThe Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash (and its sequels).
October 22 was National Color DayBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

October 23 was National Mole Day.  The Wind in the WillowsLucky was so adorable that evening.  He opened the book and started making up his own story according to the pictures in the book.  It was so cute to hear.  I was tired enough, though, that I fell asleep in my room while listening to him read in the living room.  He was "reading" for a long time, though.  So adorable.
October 26 was Steven Kellogg's BirthdayThe Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash (and its sequels).  I just couldn't help it with the cereal again.
October 31 was National Knock Knock Jokes Day.  I checked out a bunch of Knock Knock Jokes books.
November 1 was Vinegar DayThe Old Woman Who Lived in a Vinegar Bottle.
November 5 is Marooned Without a Compass Day.  In Search of the Castaways.  I tried another Jules Verne book last year- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.  I only read 85 pages of it before I couldn't handle it anymore.  As Jeremy said, "A little more fiction, a little less science, please."  I'm already beyond that many pages and I'm enjoying In Search of the Castaways.  Family Home Evening activity tonight was watching the Hayley Mills movie.  It's fun to see how many scenes from the book they put in the movie even if they changed them a little.  Obviously there are more differences than similarities but I am enjoying the book and I already know I enjoy the movie.
Nichole earned a reward at school and picked out a little toy compass.  When it was time to take pictures with the book and movie, she couldn't find her compass.  "Oh no.  I'm marooned without a compass."  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment