Friday, November 25, 2016

Pumpkin Pie

Let me tell you about our Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.
Wednesday evening I was originally planning to make the pumpkin pie so the only thing to use the oven for on Thanksgiving Day was the turkey.  However, there was a storm Wednesday evening.  Wind, lightning, thunder.  Then it snowed.  The power went out.  It was kind of exciting.  Luckily, Jeremy had already finished heating up the brine for the turkey and the dishwasher had already finished washing and was on the drying setting.
We had some fun with the lights out finding flashlights and candles.  We all went to bed somewhat early before the power came back on.
I got up early Thursday and decided to get the pie done so there wouldn't be anything in the way of the turkey.  Lucky woke up and helped me.  I thought I was smart and put aluminum foil down on the oven rack before setting the frozen pie crusts down.  Then I used a measuring cup to pour pie filling into the crusts.  I thought I could fill them more full that way.  Only a little bit of pie filling spilled onto the foil.  I was thrilled. 
Then I tried to push the oven rack back into the oven.  Ha Ha Ha Ha.  Splash splash splash.  Drip drip drip.  Ugh.  I turned off the oven, very carefully lifted the pies onto a cookie sheet on the stovetop, and mostly cleaned up the drips on the bottom of the oven.  I put new foil on the rack and very carefully put the pies back down and very carefully pushed the rack back in.  Sigh.
When the pies were done, I realized that because of all the dripping, the pie pans were stuck to the foil.  I was able to get one out but as I was getting the other one out, well... I tipped it a little too much. 
But you know what?  Eh, it's just pie.  Jr. Jr. walked into the room while I was getting the camera to take a picture.  He commented about us still being able to eat it, maybe about how it will still taste the same.  That's the right attitude.  I had the same attitude.  It's not like it was ruined.  I don't care that much about look, more about taste.  It tasted good, by the way.
So those were our Thanksgiving adventures.  The turkey turned out well.  Really yummy.  All the other food was good.  And a great family to share it with.  So much to be thankful for.

November 24 was also Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day.  A talent we had was saving two wishbones about a year to finally break them on Thanksgiving Day this year.  Wow, we're talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment