Monday, April 16, 2012

Trying Again

Remember when we tried growing an avocado plant from the pit a while back? Yeah. It didn't do anything. I've been wanting to try again ever since. Each time we get an avocado I think, "Let's try again." Well, now it's time.

The other day we were at the store. Avocados were on sale. Cilantro was on sale. We already had chips at home. I was in the mood for some chips with salsa and guacamole.
Our friends, Justin and Melynna James, taught us a really easy way to make salsa and guacamole. Melynna let me know that Justin learned this from an old hispanic lady in Southern California.

Salsa:
Take 2 cans stewed tomatoes (I used diced and add Italian Seasoning) and 1 chopped jalapeno. Boil them together until they get the thickness you want. Put them in a blender.
Add a Tablespoon or two of lime juice and some cilantro (as much as you like in your salsa) without stems.
Blend it all together.

Guacamole:
Mash up some avocados and add some salsa.

We used two avocados and their pits were completely different sizes.


Fun. I put them both in water to see if either of them will grow this time. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

  1. My oldest insisted on keeping pumpkin seeds from our jack o' lantern to plant in springtime. I think he's forgotten by now though. Thank goodness because I doubt they'll be good anymore.

    ReplyDelete