Friday, December 10, 2021

Light the Family Tree

December 9 Light The World was "Light the Family Tree," learning about ancestors or anything about family history.
So I shared some generational family history with the kids... with food.
For after school snack we had ice cream with potato chips just like their Grandpa likes. I asked my dad why it was a thing for him and he told me about some of his unique tastes which I shared with the kids. He likes sweet and salty together.
At dinner we had eggs and bacon. I told the kids that when Jeremy and I would visit my grandma (their great grandma) and stay overnight, she would make us eggs and bacon for breakfast and put potato rolls in the toaster oven. Good memories of Grandma.
For dessert, I made oatmeal cookies, but the kids had to eat them while reading Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys mysteries. 
My mother used to sit on her grandmother's porch and eat oatmeal cookies while reading those books. So the kids got to experience something from their grandma and great great grandmother's history.
I stopped by the library earlier to pick up Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books for this reason. I made sure to wear my llama mask for National Llama Day on December 9. I then wore my llama mask to the grocery store to get some potato chips for our after school snack.
We finally got some real snow. The day started out with rain just like I remember from my Winters growing up in Oregon. The day ended with snow like my family's Winters in more recent years in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment