Saturday, August 22, 2020

What They Missed- August 10

Monday, August 10-
I took the pieces I cut out the day before and sewed them into a mask for Jr. Jr. that morning.
The boys found a snail outside by one of the windows so Lucky moved plants out of the way so Jr. Jr. could take pictures with my phone. Not bad, boys.
Then it was time for a... Road Trip!
Road trip... to the library. We had items to return so we dropped them in the outside return then kept on driving. As we were driving, Lucky told me a good idea would have been to use hand sanitizer after touching the book return. I let him know that I actually did that. I even used hand sanitizer before touching the book return, too. Thinking like that will serve him well in returning to school.
Since Jeremy and the oldest two took snacks on their road trip, we took snacks on ours, too. And of course we made sure to have our water bottles and used them. It is Summertime after all.
We practiced wearing masks at Bridal Veil Falls and walking along the trail. It was Jet's first trip to the falls, though he's been in the van going passed them a number of times.
Here's a picture Lucky took as we were going along.
After Bridal Veil Falls, we decided to head up to Big Springs so back on the road through the canyon we went... and missed the turnoff at Vivian Park. I realized this when we reached the tunnel. So after the tunnel we turned around and went through the tunnel again. I got in the turning lane and realized I was turning too early. The turnoff for Vivian Park was farther up the road. So I pulled into this area and turned around and headed back to the main road noticing the right turn only sign. So we turned right onto the main road and through the tunnel again, turned around and drove through the tunnel yet again (luckily the road to Sundance is just after the tunnels and a good place to turn around). This time I paid close attention and turned into Vivian Park at the right place then drove up the road to Big Springs Park.
At this point Jet was asleep and I didn't have the Snugli anyway, just the stroller, so we didn't do any hiking, just walked around. I suggested we play Pooh Sticks at the bridges. Unfortunately it looked like the water under the bridges was not right for that game- too much debris for the sticks to get caught on. Too bad. The boys had fun throwing things in the water anyway and finding walking sticks to use which I wouldn't let them take in the van.
Jet woke and was content to look up at the trees instead of me or the phone when I tried to take a picture of him.
When we got home, we fed the birds and had to use the leftover water from filling the birdbath somehow.
When we got to the door, there was a humongous (to me) wasp/hornet/bee thing (not a murder hornet) nearby. We had to go around it to get inside and every time we moved, it would rotate to follow our movements. I don't usually get freaked out by bugs (mostly just when they jump out at me) but it was intimidating how aware it was of us. It wasn't just doing its own thing.
I spent so much time searching the internet trying to figure out the bug, I didn't get as much done as I was expecting. It was National Lazy Day, though.
As best I can tell, it was something of the genus Tachytes. I think the neighbors may have stepped on it or something later when they brought a package down to leave on our doorstep because when we opened the door again, it was dead.

At one point during the day, Lucky was looking for something-
Lucky: Where are the beans? You know the beans that are shaped like organs?
Me: The kidney beans?
Lucky: Yeah.

For Family Home Evening, Lucky gave us a lesson on how having faith leads you with light. He had Jr. Jr. lead us with a walkie talkie light all the way to the living room while the lights were off like faith. For treats we had S'mores for National S'Mores Day. For the activity, the boys each had a turn playing a video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment