Saturday, January 17, 2015

I Yam What I Yam

Since January 17 is Popeye's Birthday, I thought it would be good to have spinach for dinner.  So I made lasagna with spinach in it.  Yumm.
I started singing the "Popeye the Sailor Man" song to the kids at the table and they asked me who Popeye was.  So I explained that Popeye was a comic or comic book character who has a squinty eye and when he's getting attacked by bad guys and is losing he squeezes open a can of spinach and eats it and that makes his muscles pop and he's so strong that he's able to beat up the bad guys.  "He's good to the finich 'cause he eats his spinach."  Nichole then asked me what finich means.  And I had to explain that it's not the start, it's the finich.  See, 'cause it rhymes with spinach.  Yup.
Sometimes I don't explain a lot of background to our celebrations, but this time I could at least explain who Popeye is.

And since January 17 is also Kid Inventors' Day, the kids watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman.  Which is more of a dog inventor, but close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment