Friday, January 28, 2011

Me Time- Scripture Bag

I'm happy to get a little Me Time once in a while. I guess the more I do it, the less guilty I'll feel about it. Me Time is good as long as I'm not neglecting my family. Jeremy is happy to support me and it's working out.
A couple weeks ago I planned to make a scripture bag for Jr. during Me Time. Guess what. I ended up being too tired to try to start something like that, so instead, I rested on my bed watching something on the portable DVD player. Ate a little snack, took some time... until my Me Time was cut short when Jr. came in with an ear ache. Poor little guy. It's a good thing I didn't start my project. Instead I got some cuddle time with my little boy. We gave him some ibuprofen, put some My Friends Tigger and Pooh on the DVD player to distract him, and I just held him until he'd calmed down and the baby needed me.
Last week I did get some uplifting Me Time. Sister Beck, the General Relief Society president, was the special speaker at a special Tri-Stake Relief Society Meeting in our area. Wow. That woman is really neat. She basically had a question and answer session and she turned to the scriptures many times to help explain her answers. One of the things she talked about (and some of you may have heard her speak on this before) was Essential Things- scripture reading, prayer, etc. things that lead you back to Heavenly Father, Necessary Things- laundry, dishes, groceries, etc. things that need to be done in order to live, and Nice To Do Things- hobbies and such that are nice to do when you have time. She said the greatest danger facing young mothers today is escaping. Turning to those nice to do things to get away from the essentials. We get distracted too easily. She clarified it and said those nice to do things are important because they provide balance, but when we put them ahead of the essentials and use them as an escape and neglect those essentials, that's where the trouble lies. So I've realized that scheduled Me Time does provide balance for me. It's okay as long as my priorities are in the right place. Which so far it is working out. Like when I was willing to stop my Me Time when Jr. was hurting. I didn't just say, Jeremy, you deal with it. He was already helping with the baby.
Anyway, I got more Me Time (sort of Me Time, I took the baby with me) last week when I went to our Stake Women's Conference- also uplifting. Our stake president was the special speaker after classes, and I was reminded again what a blessing it is for us to be in this ward and this stake.
So, on to this week- Me Time.
I finally sewed Jr.'s scripture bag. I used Nichole's that she got from the Primary for her birthday last year as a reference.

It turned out really well. Of course I have ideas of things I can do next time to improve or be more efficient, but anyone looking at the bag wouldn't think that way. It is perfectly adequate, and Jr. was pleased with it, too.
So we'll see how it works out on Sunday with his new scriptures he got a couple weeks ago.

4 comments:

  1. "I guess the more I do it, the less guilty I'll feel about it." I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that phrase could be used for going down the wrong path, too. Fortunately this is for a positive thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I needed to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it was helpful, Christine.

    ReplyDelete