Tuesday, April 9, 2024

General Conference Weekend

At the end of Spring Break, we had General Conference Weekend. We thought it would be great to go see the Sage Grouse since that has kind of become a Spring Break tradition.
We got everybody up really early in the morning and headed out. There was a chance of snow so we would turn around and go home if the weather didn't look good. It looked good. All the way through Provo Canyon, all the way past Heber, then all of a sudden it hit. Seriously, just sitting in the van looking out the front window, it was totally clear, when all of a sudden we jumped to hyperspace. Whoa. Snow coming right at us, hard to see the lines on the road, all the vehicles going slowly. We got toward the top of the hill by Jordanelle Reservoir and started losing traction. We had already made the decision that we would abandon our trip if this happened, we just didn't realize it would happen so suddenly. We found a pullout and just hung out listening to audiobooks and the boys played video games on their devices. 
Several snowplows went by and the snow calmed down a little bit. We were able to get to the next exit that thankfully had been plowed, and were able to get on the highway going back the way we came. Once we got down into Heber area again, it was clear all the way back home.
We went home and some of us slept then got up (picked up Nichole as she wanted to sleep instead of seeing the sage grouse), watched General Conference, ate nachos, some of us slept during Conference, and made brownies to start from the middle for the evening session.

O.K. Funny story before we left. My phone was connected to the van speakers via Bluetooth. I turned the van on to warm it up while we got the last of the stuff from inside. I had my audiobook on Libby on my phone in my pocket so I knew it would start playing through the speakers as I buckled Jet in. What I didn't realize is while the boys were sitting there in the van, all of a sudden they would hear, "Beast. Blood everywhere," in a menacing voice through the speakers before I paused my book. We all cracked up.
Sunday, April 7, besides being General Conference, was No Housework Day. Ha! I got up that morning to one child throwing up. So much for World Health Day. I think he was dehydrated because after that morning he was fine the rest of the day. 
Nichole made the comment it seems like somebody always gets sick during General Conference weekend.
It was a good weekend even without sage grouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment