Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Sometimes Service is Hard

I've blogged quite a bit over the last few Decembers about what we've been doing to #LightTheWorld through service. Sometimes we do elaborate acts of service and sometimes they are more simple.
Sometimes it comes together really well. The kids are excited to help out and we have a great time.
For example, just a couple days ago, Nichole helped Lucky read a story from The Friend for his Family Home Evening lesson. We didn't ask her to do it. She offered. So nice.
Then we have mornings like today. First off, I didn't get a lot of sleep during the night because that's when Jet decided to be awake. I'm still working on trying to find the balance. During Thanksgiving Break, the kids all slept in so when I didn't get a lot of sleep at night, I was able to get some during the morning. And I looked something like this:
Aww. So content.
Now it's December. We're trying to do our Countdown to Christmas scripture study in the morning before school. I have this crazy idea that I can sleep after the oldest three go to school and the baby's asleep. But no. I look like this:
That's tired grumpy Mommy right there.
We've talked to the kids about doing simple acts of service for Light The World. That's what I'm trying to do. Finding simple ways to serve.
This morning, all I wanted to do was sleep. That's a way my child could do service for me. Let me sleep. Nope. Every time I dozed off, I would hear, "Mom. Mom."
"What?"
"Do you know what I can do?" Lucky wanted me to think of something fun for him to do. I kept giving him ideas of things he could do- color a picture, look at a book. He didn't like any of those ideas. So after I started to doze off and again he woke me up, I tried to give him ideas of service he could do- clean his room, clean the living room, draw a picture for someone, let Mommy sleep. No, he wanted something fun to do. I tried to remind him how important service is. Sigh. I just wanted sleep.
Finally he decided to write a note to someone at school. Finally. Phew. But then he wanted me to tell him how to spell some things so he could write the note. Ack.
In the end I didn't get much more sleep, but Lucky was pretty happy with the result of writing this note. So that's good anyway.
So sometimes even the simplest acts of service can be hard. Hard when I just want to sleep. Hard when Lucky doesn't want to do service. On the bright side, we'll be able to look back on this blog post and I'll be able to say, "I survived." The kids will look at it and say, "Ha Ha. Look at tired grumpy Mommy." This is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment