Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Prehistoric Creatures Day

Everybody say, "Dinosaurs."

Last Wednesday we headed to Dinosaur Island at Ashton Gardens at Thanksgiving Point. "Escape to Dinosaur Island." 
We've been planning this for months since we knew they were going to have dinosaurs all over the gardens (it turns out they were animatronic dinosaurs). We were especially excited to bring our dinosaur loving youngest child. 
That face says it all.
 
It was awesome. We loved it. It was fun to guess the dinosaurs we could see in the distance before we reached the informational signs. Some we got right, some we didn't.
Pachycephalosaurus I recognized since that was my brother's favorite dinosaur growing up. He was so into dinosaurs when we were kids. Being around my own children right now reminds me of that. They've all kind of gotten into it with Jet.

I guessed Edmontosaurus for these dinosaurs up ahead. As we got closer and saw the informational sign and the "nest" with hatchlings, both Nichole and Jr. said, "Of course, because Maiasaura means 'good mother'." Told you they've gotten into it.
 
Jet recognized several dinosaurs. Not surprised. We brought along some of his toy dinosaurs as well. Triceratops, Brachiosaurus, and T. rex.
I love this picture that Jr. Jr. got. It totally reminds me of the first Jurassic Park movie. "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

Look, it's my favorite dinosaur, stegosaurus.
We even got to see a stegosaurus plate fossil and Jr. Jr. got into a nice discussion with the lady holding the plate and talking to us. She was impressed that our family already knew so much.

As June 15 was Nature Photography Day, we photographed not just dinosaurs (check out this picture of Lucky hiding behind flowers to get pictures of a Utahraptor- nature photography, tee hee).
We also photographed flowers and birds, especially a Cooper's hawk.
 
And Lucky got pictures of the nearby windmills for Global Wind Day.

There was lots of smiling for Smile Power Day. I love dinosaurs! They make me smile. So does my family.

Dinosaur Island was awesome!

Later that day, Jeremy and I watched The Meg to celebrate National Megalodon Day. My mom recommended the movie to us and when she found out we were going to watch it to celebrate the holiday, she watched it, too, in her own home. So fun. Definitely need to suspend your disbelief with that movie and understand that it's so predictable but it was not nearly as gory as Jaws so that's something.
I love how it worked out to watch a movie about a prehistoric shark on the same day we went to see prehistoric creatures at Thanksgiving Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment