Sunday, October 6, 2013

KAT's Kreation

Jr. has a pair of pants that he really likes but he tends to get holes in the knee.  Then he tends to stick his fingers in the holes and make them worse.  I've tried to just stitch them up but that only lasts so long before the holes come back and he's sticking his fingers in them again.  Finally I was looking at a friend's blog one day and saw that she put patches on her sons' pants when they wore out the knees.  I'd never really done that before, but figured I could try it.
Jr. calls this particular pair of pants his "Batman pants" since he got them with some other Batman-themed items one time.  So of course I needed to put a Batman-themed patch on them.  I couldn't find any fabric I liked at the store (we have plenty of scrap fabric at home) so I finally decided I could be creative... with Jeremy's help.
He drew out the shape I wanted on black fabric.  I cut it out along with a yellow oval and a black oval to cover the hole on the inside of the pants.
Then it was simply applying iron-on adhesive to stick the black symbol and yellow oval together.  I stitched around the outside of the black symbol so it wouldn't fray.  I applied the yellow oval and the black oval to either side of the hole with the iron-on adhesive and again stitched around their edges to keep them from fraying.
Something I learned:  Next time I need to make sure the fabric on the outside and the fabric on the inside match up better.  After stitching up the outside oval I realized that if I poked the needle through from the back to the front, I would have these random stitches in the middle of my yellow.  I was able to adapt and managed to get the needle through so it didn't go all the way through the yellow part, but just the pants part.  And it didn't have to look as pretty on the inside, just keep the inside patch from coming off (I wasn't using the heavy duty iron-on adhesive), so I only had to make a few stitches here and there.
It turned out and Jr. was happy with the result.
Now my little boy can keep being a little boy and hard on the knees of his pants.

3 comments:

  1. My son had 5 Batman symbols on him as he went to school today. Shirt, hoodie, pants patch, backpack, and lunchbox. Only the ones on the shirt and hoodie were not handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo for making pants last a little bit longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for teaching me through your blog that I can do something like this.

      Delete