Thursday, November 8, 2012

Why Are You Crying?

Jeremy:  Do you want me to run over to the grocery store and get some more french bread?
Kristin:  No.  I can use the picture for a blog post.

November 8th has two holidays to combine.  It is Bram Stoker's birthday and it is Cook Something Bold and Pungent Day.  Like last year, I decided to celebrate by making garlic bread to go with our dinner.

While the garlic bread was in the oven, I decided to drain the spaghetti noodles I'd been cooking.  Unfortunately, I placed my finger in the wrong spot while holding the colander so when I poured the noodles and water in, the hot water went right through the holes onto my finger.  So as I tried to hold the pot and the colander with one hand and run cold water from the sink on the finger of my other hand and call Jeremy in to take the pot and colander, the garlic bread spent too much time in the oven and burned. 
When I opened the oven, smoke was coming out so I tried to call Jeremy to push the mute button on the smoke detector so it wouldn't beep beep beep at us, but I couldn't remember what the smoke detector was called so I burst into tears.
To go along with all of this, I have a cold, and there has been some excitement going on around here with the attention Balloon Bag End has been getting lately.  It's good stress.
So when the kids came in and asked, "Why are you crying?" I explained everything that was going on to them then summarized, "Hormones, pain, illness, and stress.  It can all be categorized into stress."

And guess what.  Nobody complained about the burnt garlic bread.

1 comment: