Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Bad Day

A friend recently commented that we "seem truly happy" and "love abounds" in our family.  Yes.  I agree.  We have a great family.  A really great family.
But, as with everyone, we have good days and we have bad days.  And this most recent Memorial Day was one of those bad days.  There was whining, there was complaining, there were raised voices, there were tantrums... and the kids were pretty bad, too.  It was just one of those days.  None of us could get along.  Jeremy was able to come home early from work, and we had the thought to all get out to the park.  Sometimes we just need to get out.  We brought along some children's books to read to the kids to teach them about manners, fighting, whining, respect, screaming, yelling, etc.  At the park the kids ended up learning about maple trees and oak trees and their leaves, as well as alders (or as Jr. thought was said- boulders), spiders with drag lines, and poison ivy, oak, and sumac.

Then we had to leave before we got to reading the books because the kids would not listen and were disobedient.  Sigh.

I don't often go on a lot about the bad days because I believe it's important to focus more on blessings.  We are a happy family, we have a lot of blessings, and I want my children to remember the good days more than the bad days.  And if I really want to go on and on about the hard times, I can write in my personal journal instead of on a public blog.

Even on bad days, though, there are still reasons to celebrate.  That bad day, the kids peeled carrots to go with dinner.  They peeled them... and peeled them... and peeled them. The carrots ended up being a lot thinner than if I had just peeled them, but there was reasoning behind peeling them so thin.  We give our fruit and veggie kitchen scraps to some people we know for their chickens.  Jr. really wanted to give the chickens a LOT of carrot scraps (to make the chickens fat?), hence the thin carrots.  It was thoughtful of him.
I am reminded often that I do have really great kids.

So, we all have bad days and times, but I'm happy to dwell more on the happy times.

1 comment:

  1. I agree its not good to dwell on the bad days but I sure am grateful to hear other people have them too.

    ReplyDelete