Friday, April 15, 2011

A Little Corner of Peace

My sister-in-law keeps a blog about Living in Awareness. In it she talks about a lot of tools and techniques that can be used for healing. I've found many of the ones she uses I also use for times when I need to calm myself. Deep breathing for instance, prayer, journal writing, even foot rubs. Sometimes something just needs to be done to put you in a better place, mood if you will. I'm not as eloquent as my sister-in-law at expressing how different tools and techniques can be used, but let me share something that worked for me recently.
One day, I wasn't feeling so well physically. I thought I might have some seasonal allergies bothering me or maybe I was coming down with a cold. There is enough frustration in my life right now about different things. Me Time is supposed to be that time when I get to do whatever I want, but often there seem to be setbacks to getting that time to myself. There have been a number of times when the baby hasn't been feeling well and only wants Mommy. There have been times when I need to sew something for the kids (and when I'm sewing where the baby can see me, he wants me). It seems like sometimes my Me Time turns into Time To Do Something For Someone Else Because That's The Only Time I Have To Do It.
Anyway, so like I said, one day I was not feeling so well and I needed... something. It is too crowded in our home because I feel like I never have time to get organized. I wanted to relax, have a nice mug of herbal tea, and just take time for healing. But there was no place I could do this. So I made a place. Our nightstand next to our bed collects things on top from time to time, but hasn't actually been cleaned and organized since we moved here. We have a lamp that we used to keep on it in our old apartment, but it hadn't been plugged in since we moved here. I cleared off the top of that nightstand, finding some interesting things along the way, dusted it, kept some essentials there (the phone, the alarm clock). But I added some things to help me as well. My water bottle as it's important to keep myself hydrated. That lamp so I could have a nice bit of light next to my bed and don't have to crawl all the way over to the door (I've got short arms) to turn off the light in the room. I put down a crocheted doily so that when I have my nice cup of herbal tea, it has something soft to sit on (and it's better for the nightstand). And that is now a little corner of peace in my home. Since I set it up, it's stayed that way. Occasionally my glasses case will be there, but I haven't collected junk like in so many other places in my home.

And I'll tell you I've had quite a few mugs of relaxing herbal tea since I set this up.

3 comments:

  1. Kristin, I love your little bedside "me space." It's beautiful! And what a great lamp. Hey, this post is actually right along the lines of a post I've been working on for my Living in Awareness blog ... so once I put up that post, can I link to this post? (We must be on the same wave or something.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely link to this post.
    That lamp is one we inherited from the Cottinghams when we got married. As well as the nightstand and the bed. The water bottle is new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The water bottle is new." You make me smile, Kristin. I like your sense of humor. It really is a cool lamp. And thanks: once I get that post up, I'll let you know ...

    ReplyDelete