Tuesday, December 22, 2009

December 20th & 21st & December 22nd

Getting ready for Christmas can be a lot of hard work. So far this year's preparations have been pretty laid back, which also means that my blog posts have been a little laid back (or more like taken a backseat) and for the past several days I've gotten up in the morning and remembered how I'd forgotten to write a blog post about our countdown activities. So tonight while my husband is working on a project, I'm playing catch-up on this blog. Here we go:

December 20th- We didn't even get around to making a balloon number or putting up a post so it was combined with the next day. But Sunday, I got a new calling at church. I had gone early to choir practice since our choir was singing in Sacrament meeting that day. As soon as I sat down, a member of the bishopric came and got me away from practice to ask me. So I missed some of practice, but it still turned out well. So, I am now a Sunbeam teacher. Since they didn't have anyone to sub for this last week before I am officially a teacher next week, I volunteered to help out. The other teacher used to teach in Relief Society before she got called as a Sunbeam teacher. I loved her lessons in Relief Society and she is just as good with the 3-4 year olds. My daughter who is in that class until the end of the month thinks a lot of her as well. During part of the lesson, she showed a short video of the Nativity. Several of the kids were saying that they have that movie at home.
That evening for our Christmas activity, we watched Mr. Krueger's Christmas, a little movie I remember from my childhood with Jimmy Stewart and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The DVD came with the Ensign a few years ago as a special Christmas message. Also on the DVD was a short video of the Nativity. As soon as I put that on, Nichole said, "Hey, we have that movie." It was the same one that was shown in her class that day. It was cute how excited she got about seeing baby Jesus on the movies.

Then came Monday, the 21st. Our activity- letting the stress of the holidays finally get to Mommy. Jeremy and I are working on a special project for Christmas so we had gone fabric shopping, found what would work for the project, and brought it home. We got some red flannel, some green flannel, and some white flannel. We figured we should prewash them, I figured mostly because they'd probably shrink a little, and decided to wash them on cold so they wouldn't bleed all over. I didn't think about washing them separate from each other, I just wanted to get them washed so we could start working with them. Guess what. The white flannel came out of the washing machine pink. Not too surprising is it. So, I let the stress get to me. I wasn't so patient with the kids, I was tired, hungry, and not so happy. I called Jeremy and we decided to let him go ahead and stop at the fabric store on his way home to get some more white. The cashier he got was the same as we had earlier and she recognized him. "Uh oh, what happened?" So he explained it to her. Oh sad.
In the meantime, I put the red and green flannels (which had no trouble with each other) in the dryer and threw the white in the washing machine by itself again just in case it would help. It came out pink again. So when Jeremy got home we said, oh well, we'll just have to figure out some other project for pink flannel later. Sigh. I threw the pink in the dryer and put the new white in the washing machine. Suprisingly, the pink came out of the dryer mostly white. I couldn't believe it. It was close enough to white that we are going to be able to use it for our project anyway. Yay, and we have an extra bunch of white now so we can do more of this project later on if this turns out well this time. Hooray. So after the stress, I was able to calm down a bit and Jeremy even made me some food. What a sweetheart.

Today, the 22nd, we talked about traditions. Traditions can help bring a family closer together. They are something to look forward to, something steady, something you can count on. We talked about some of our family traditions and did one of our Christmastime traditions today. We watched the Polar Express movie and drank hot chocolate at the appropriate point. Then we read the Polar Express book. Several years ago, Jeremy got a hot chocolate mug and saucer just like in the movie. So he likes to use that special mug when we watch that movie.

One more day and then it's Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment