Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Primary Program

When we first moved into our current ward last year, Nichole was still in Nursery. It seems like so long ago. After a few months, they had a Primary program in Sacrament Meeting. I was a little confused as to why the nursery kids didn't get to participate. For as long as I have been a parent, the nursery kids in our old ward did practically the whole program themselves. Them and their leaders. I realized most wards have an actual primary as compared to our two kids in junior primary and twelve kids in nursery. That's why we had Nursery programs. I guess it's normal to just have the older than nursery kids do the program.
Anyway, this year as a Sunbeam, Nichole got to be part of the Primary program. She knew her part so well. As the weeks got us closer to the program, we'd ask her, "Nichole, what is your part in the Primary program?" She would let us know, "My family loves me." We were ready.
The day of the program arrived. It started off so well. Jeremy fixed us all pancakes and eggs for breakfast. Everyone was so happy and getting along so well. Nichole was still ready for her part and we were all excited.
Then came time to get dressed. Jr. fought us getting his clothes on. Nichole decided she just wanted her pajamas on and wanted to sleep. She didn't want to wear shoes. Needless to say, our mood wasn't as chipper when we finally got everyone out to the car.
By the time we got to church, we were a little better off. Jeremy took Jr. to Nursery while I took Nichole to Primary. She was a little hesitant about going and sitting down with her class, but it was all right. I fortunately got to enjoy a good lesson in Relief Society then in Sunday School with Jeremy, so by the time Sacrament Meeting came along, I was in a very good mood.
Jeremy went to get Jr. from Nursery and I went to get Nichole from Primary. Hmmm, no kids in the primary room. O.K. It's happened before where Nichole wasn't in the primary room when I went to get her. In one instance, she had gone to wait in the nursery room with Jr. I also thought maybe they'd practiced the primary program in the chapel. I caught up with Jeremy, quickly looked around the chapel while going through it (though there were a lot of people in there), but I didn't see Nichole in the chapel and she was not in the nursery room. The search began.
I know it's hard to keep track of all the kids in Primary, so I don't blame the teachers when little kids get away. I'm just not used to them not keeping my child until I get there (this is my oldest child- first year out of nursery, where they do hold on to the kids- big ward). And it does get kind of scary when you can't find your child where you expect them to be.
So, I started from the chapel and went around the whole building (including checking in the bathroom) until I got to the other side of the chapel. I saw one of Nichole's teachers coming out of the chapel and asked if she knew where Nichole was. She said she thought the other teacher had her. Then I saw the other teacher come out of the chapel. I asked her if she knew where Nichole was. She said that she told Nichole she could sit with her family until we got there. So, she was somewhere. Phew. I must have not looked in that area when going through before and just missed her.
I went in and saw Jeremy pointing to one of the back pews. There was Nichole with her teacher's family, playing with the boys in the pew ahead of her. I went over and told her she could come sit with Mommy and Daddy and Jr. until it was time to sit up front for the program. She did not want to move. She wanted to stay right there and not sit with us.
I promise you, I am a nice Mom. I try to treat my children well and I would say that they are happy children. They're not afraid of me. But sometimes they just like a change. It wasn't anything against us. Nichole just wanted to sit with her teacher's family. They said it was okay, so I went over to sit with Jr. and Daddy, looking back from time to time to check on my little girl.
When it was time for the program, Nichole went up to sit with her class on the stand and the program began. Jr. was climbing around on our pew, but as soon as one of Nichole's classmates sang a solo into the microphone (this kid, no fear, she did such a good job, and she's only 4), he immediately stopped and watched.
Then it was time for the Sunbeams to say their parts. Jr. got excited when Nichole went up to the microphone. As soon as she said, "My family loves me," he called out, "There's Nichole," and as soon as she got down to go back to her seat, he jumped off my lap and said, "I'll go get her." Uh oh. I tried to explain that he needed to stay with us and just watch Nichole in the program, but that just set him off. I had to take him out in the hall because of the screaming. He loves his sister and just wanted to be with her. I got him calmed down by looking at a picture of Jesus in the hall. We talked about how Jesus loves him, and at one point a man came out in the hall with his daughter. I told him how Jr. wanted to be up with his sister and was having a hard time. Jr. looked at him and said, "Jesus loves me." Oh, so precious. Nichole had her part to say in the Primary Program and Jr. was saying that just as if he was part of the program.
He didn't stay calm, though. I tried from time to time to go back to the chapel and stand in the back or right outside the door to watch and listen, but Jr. would not be calm then, so I had to keep taking him away. He was tired. Jeremy came out and took Jr., changed his diaper, then held him so I could go in and finish watching the program. I got in there during the closing remarks. Jeremy brought Jr. in during the closing song. The poor little guy was asleep.
So I missed most of the Primary Program, but I got to see Nichole do her part. And she did it well.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the theatrics of the Primary Program! If it isn't one thing, it is another. :) At least you got to see her say her part. Its so precious, isn't it? My oldest was in our Primary Program a while ago and I was so excited for it!

    ReplyDelete