Thursday, July 30, 2009

Not the same knot



My life has been very focused on balloon twisting lately. I learned some new techniques including the rose weave which I'd never been able to do successfully before, and the pop twist which allows separating parts of the sculpture without having to use a new balloon (such as between the front legs of a frog).
But I learned something surprising I hadn't realized before. After blowing up a balloon, not everyone will tie the knot (to keep the air from escaping) the same way. I just took it for granted that everyone tied it the same way. Jeremy revealed to me that before he got into balloon twisting, he would wrap the balloon around just his pointer finger to tie it. He realized it is much easier to wrap it around both the pointer and middle finger. I've always wrapped it around my pointer and middle finger. Then I take my free hand and use my thumb to push the lip of the balloon through the wrapped around part. Jeremy however will use the thumb on the same hand as the wrapped around fingers to push the lip through. I had no clue.
I guess you really do learn something new every day. And not just about balloon twisting, but about your spouse, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment