Monday, March 7, 2022

I Can Do What I Want. It's My Day Off

I've mentioned before that I am burned out. I've tried to take days off, I've tried to take afternoons or evenings off, I've tried to take some time to myself. Just to be clear, time to myself is not catching up on the dishes while Jet's asleep. Time off has not worked so well lately. Either I take Jet with me and he has different ideas of what it means to "stay by Mommy," or my time spent "relaxing" in my room is interrupted every 10 minutes by people wanting something, or I schedule my time and someone gets sick
Let's be clear about something else. I love my family. I love spending time with them. I love each individual child and their personalities. I love my husband so much. Life, however, sometimes burns you out. That's what happened to me. I needed a BIG break. I hadn't gotten one. Then I did. My husband made sure that I got a whole day off to myself. At first I thought of taking Jet with me but Jeremy told me to take a day completely to myself. That meant actually getting out of the house and doing what I wanted to do.
I had some plans then as I was getting ready that morning, I remembered, "what about watching the sunrise?" I haven't done that in a while. I always love watching the light shine more and more on the hills across the lake then come across to this side.
So I hurried to finish getting ready then headed out. As I started driving, I realized I didn't have to go directly to where I planned to watch the sunrise. "I can do what I want. It's my day off." And that became the theme of the day. I didn't have to stick to some schedule. I could change my mind. "I can do what I want. It's my day off."
So I headed out to Provo Canyon, drove past mostly frozen Bridal Veil Falls, and kept changing my mind about turning around or not. As I turned onto South Fork Road, I remembered there are some really pretty views of the mountains up that road so as I continued driving up the road, I could see the sun illuminating the mountain in my side mirror. Ahhhh.
I stopped at South Fork Park to watch the light creeping down the hills just like the hills across the lake. I got out in the cold to watch better and to take pictures and it was worth it. So gorgeous. I love nature! It was already rejuvenating me. 
;.,.u ....ujk 
(This is what happens when I try to blog while dozing off and a baby and dinosaurs are sitting on my lap. Those dinosaurs- always trying to jump on the keyboard)

I watched some ravens flying around and listened to a flicker. I picked a spot near the stream, though, so I mostly heard water.
After a while of standing there, my toes were getting pretty cold. I even had the thought to go back home and get an extra layer of socks on. The best bet, though, was to go back to the van and let my toes warm up a bit. I started walking toward the van then thought I should take one more picture of the light on the hills so I turned around around to go back to my spot and there in the stream were a pair of American dippers. Eeeee. I would have missed them if I hadn't decided to take another picture. Yay for my love of trying to capture even a little bit on camera what I experience out in nature. I'm not a photographer so my pictures aren't great but they help with the memories.

So I spent longer in the cold watching the dippers (also worth it) before getting my last picture of the hills then going back to the van where I did some scripture study. I used to bring my scriptures when I'd watch sunrises. It was a good combination of reading God's word and seeing God's creations so I made sure to bring my scriptures this time.
I said goodby to the hills and dippers and everything else and drove back down the canyon while listening to "The Score" on the radio. Then I headed up to Farmington Bay where I spent hours and hours and hours walking and driving around enjoying nature. 
 


I ate my lunch while watching a harrier fly around and thought, "I don't have to take pictures, I can just watch it." Though I did try to take some pictures. I can't help myself. There were so many harriers.
Going with the theme of the day, "I can do what I want. It's my day off," when eating breakfast that morning, I decided not to save any for anyone else. I packed the rest in a thermos and ate it for lunch. Yumm.
I spent so much time in nature that day, walking and driving, getting sunburned (just a little). After Farmington Bay, I headed up to Antelope Island and found a little spot to just sit and relax for a while. It was nice not having to do anything, not thinking about all the things I had to do at home. I did some people watching. I hadn't done that in a while. It's usually bird watching. It really felt good, though, to just do nothing, just rest. I also did some hiking which was nice.


I also visited my sister and we chatted for a while. That was nice. I love family. I love my sisters. I love my brothers. I love my parents. Ahhh.
I got home and as I was putting trip stuff away, one of my children came in to ask for things. Jeremy was right there in the room. Seriously? I just got home. I let my child know it was still my day off so he stopped. Heh heh heh. Jeremy took care of things right up until midnight and I finished the day by celebrating the holiday on February 19, National Chocolate Mint Day, with a peppermint patty.

Earlier in the day, Jeremy gave the kids Kellogg's cereal to celebrate the anniversary of when William Kellogg founded the breakfast cereal company.

No comments:

Post a Comment