Monday, May 11, 2020

Trying Out Even More New Foods

We haven't been trying out new recipes just to go along with celebrations. We've done it for various other reasons as well- budget, using what we have on hand, because Jr. was missing certain activities at school, just because.
Here are some things we've tried lately.

Meatless meatballs. I couldn't stop popping these things in my mouth. The best part is being able to add ingredients to taste before cooking them since you don't have to worry about raw meat and raw eggs. Yum.

Lots of breads and muffins.

I got the idea for this bubble bread from melskitchencafe.com using dough I already had but the technique and seasonings she suggested. Yum. Thanks, Mel. It's a good thing I had it as a side dish with dinner otherwise it would have disappeared even faster.

A simple bread to throw in the oven and pull chunks off to snack on or eat with homemade marinara sauce. This bread came from ourbestbites.com and I managed to do all the mixing and putting together while the baby was watching from the bouncer seat.

Eggless applesauce muffins. I got this recipe from fivehearthome.com when there were no eggs to be found at the store and later when I didn't want to spend $2 for a dozen eggs. We had applesauce at home. Why not try it? Success.

Not every baking attempt worked out. Some led to tears (usually because I needed a breakdown and that was the last straw- I need a cry from time to time, don't you?) and some made me want to try again.

Jr. made snickerdoodles from a cake mix- a recipe that he didn't get to do at school.
He also made crepes. Oh, they tasted so good. Great job, Jr.

The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner Again had a yummy and simple linguine with butter & parmesan cheese side dish I tried out using fettuccine. Yumm.

I love that we're getting such a variety of food right now. It gives us all a chance to see what we like and what we can plan to make again or not make again. I'm already getting requests for food to incorporate into the menu plan and the more we do certain recipes, the faster we'll get at making them. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment