Sunday, October 2, 2022

I Survived Shelftember!

I survived Shelftember! 
We ended up saving quite a bit of money on groceries for September thanks to this challenge. Yay! Here are a few other things I didn't talk about it before:
 
I mentioned this before but I found a recipe I like and it bears repeating because I'm going to make it a lot. Mexican rice from shelfcooking.com. It's another of those easy recipes that makes for a quick side dish. 
One day, I threw together homemade refried beans (because I'm not a fan of the taste of store bought refried beans so I always make my own from pinto beans with seasonings) on corn tortillas with corn and Mexican rice on the side (or wrapped up in the tortillas with the beans). Quick shelf cooking meal perfect for Shelftember. And it made for good leftovers.
 
We had taco soup in the freezer that needed to be eaten up. Shelftember is a great excuse for that.
 
And of course free food/snacks is always a great way to save money. Nichole got some of The Food Nanny's Kracklin' Kamut from one of her teachers. She was nice to share with us.

Since it's Fall now, I made apple crisp. So good. The only things I picked up at the store for this in September were apples. The rest of the ingredients I had on hand, including the ice cream on top.

Sometimes Spanish Rice and shredded pork or chicken on corn tortillas make a great quick lunch.


I finished off the month with a quick trip to the store where I spent only a few dollars on apples. The dinner I tried to make that night was failing tragically until I threw everything into a casserole dish and finished it up in the oven. While waiting for it, I had a tortilla with peanut butter. Sigh.
But that's okay. Not every meal turns out perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment