Monday, November 24, 2014

Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day 2014

November 24 is Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day.
To celebrate, we went to see Derek Banks perform at the Orem Library.  I've mentioned Derek before on this blog.  He's the kid who wrote and memorized his own arrangement of "Starry Starry Night" in about 4 hours.  That's a unique talent. 
This was the first time I've been able to go to one of Derek's performances like this.  I've heard him play at church and at baptisms and I listened to him play "Starry Starry Night" several times the day we were filming (and I've seen some videos of him playing), but not like this.

Usually I'm taking care of kids at home during Derek's performances, so Jeremy's gone to a few, but this was my first chance.  We took the kids down early to the library.  They were lighting the Christmas trees outside the City Center area and were having a program and such.  It was cold so we only stayed out there for a little while, and drove by the lit trees on the way home.  The kids did enjoy standing by the fire, though.

In the library, the kids ran around and looked at books for a little while.  During Derek's performance, Jeremy stood and held Lucky and each of the remaining kids eventually migrated to the section of the library where Jeremy was.  No offense to Derek and the classical music he was playing but our kids could only sit still for so long. 
But I got to sit and listen to the whole performance.  Thanks, Jeremy, for watching the kids (he was still able to listen) so I could watch.  It was great.
Way to go, Derek.  You are very talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment