Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fighter Jets and Service

You know when you have plans or at least ideas of what you want to do to celebrate a certain holiday then it just doesn't work out?  Yeah, that happens to me sometimes, too.  I had one of those days the other day.  I had ideas of how to celebrate National Aviation Day, August 19.  I was going to go shopping earlier in the day so after school I could make paper airplanes with the kids.  It was going to be great.  I took a nap instead.  It was great.  I ran out of time to go shopping so after school, we all made a trip to go grocery shopping and picked up some supplies for last minute celebrating.  So instead of making paper airplanes we had honey roasted peanuts like you might find as a snack on an airplane and we had gummi fighter jets.  I didn't know they made those but we found them while looking at the bulk section in Winco.  Hooray.

August 19 was also World Humanitarian Day.  A friend of mine made me aware of it and made me think of humanitarian work my children were involved in through a program called Serving with Smiles.  They had the opportunity to put together projects to be taken to different places throughout the world.  They'd make blankets, toys, school kits, hygiene kits, and other things to help people who might not have access to some of those things.  After working on the projects for a little while, a guest speaker would talk to them about what would be done with those items they made or put together.
We didn't do any humanitarian work for people across the world that day, but last minute Jeremy volunteered to help our new neighbor move in.  He made some calls and got a few more people to help, too.  Of course service is great to do anytime.

So I don't always end up doing what I plan for holidays.  I also planned to write a blog post that night.  As you can tell that didn't happen.  So you get it today.  And while I'm at it, I can tell you that August 20 was National Radio Day.  Nichole got to listen to the radio on her MP3 player and after most of the kids were in bed, Jeremy and I got a little mini date.  He stopped by Wendy's on his way home from work to get us a treat and we ate it while watching the movie, Radioland Murders (for the holiday).  Just the two of us... and Lucky, who eventually fell asleep.  Then it was just the two of us... until I got tired and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment