Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Months of Cereal

I didn't realize it until recently, but there are a few times you can celebrate with cereal in February and March.  To name a few:

February 16th was National Almond Day.  I didn't want to buy just almonds, so I treated myself to some cranberry almond granola from the bulk section of Winco. 

Ah, the bulk section at Winco.  Such a great yet dangerous spot.  It's a great place for finding things to help with celebrating, because you can get as little or as much as you want.  Getting just a little is great for a budget.  Unfortunately sometimes it is so easy to get a lot, or when I go to get a little of one thing, I find so many other things.  It is a great section though, and some things are definitely cheaper in the bulk section at Winco.  So... as I was saying... I got some cranberry almond granola to celebrate National Almond Day.  It was yummy.

Today, February 19th, is the anniversary of when the breakfast cereal company, known today as Kellogg's, was founded in 1906.  I surprised the kids with one of those packs that has several individual sized boxes of cereal for breakfast this morning.  
I did not get it from the bulk section at Winco.  
The kids loved that they each got their own box of cereal to open and pour out (Jr. Jr. had help).  If I had been looking up information earlier, I could have had some more fun with this one.  I found out that Kellogg's was originally known as Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company.  I happen to live in a town that used to be called Battle Creek (but not the same Battle Creek).  There is a hiking area near here that leads through Battle Creek Canyon to Battle Creek Falls.  One of the local parks is Battle Creek Park.  Oh the pictures I could have taken of a box of Kellogg's cereal in different locations.  Sigh.  I need to get better at my research before holidays.  Oh, well.  There's always next year.

Coming up on March 7th is National Cereal Day.  I don't have much to say since we haven't celebrated it yet this year, but we've celebrated it in the past.

Ah, cereal.  So many ways to celebrate with cereal during these months.

No comments:

Post a Comment