Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Such a Bigger Girl

My little girl is not in kindergarten anymore. She's a first grader. Check out my blog post from last September, "Such a Big Girl," to read about her starting kindergarten. Now to talk about starting first grade:

She has been excited all Summer about starting school. Ever since she finished kindergarten. "Now I'm in first grade." And she finally got to start.
The end of Summer came really quickly. We only finished Park Week a couple weeks ago. Since then we've had road trips and birthday parties and holidays. Oh my. And we still have so much going on (It's still Summer, even if school is going again). I'm not used to elementary school starting in August (started in September where I grew up) so I'm still trying to adjust to that. But enough of my rambling, let's talk about my big girl.

She got up and got ready without any complaints, of course. And no dawdling (on the first day of school). She was excited to take her new backpack and lunchbox. And to wear her new rainbow pants.


"I'm Rainbow Bright," she's been saying ever since Mommy and Daddy said that's what her pants reminded us of. She doesn't even know who Rainbow Bright is.


"I'm Green and Black Bright," Jr.'s been saying. He didn't want to be left out.

Nichole lined up with one of her friends who was in her class last year and is in her class again this year and then they headed in with the teachers. Another thing I'm not used to in elementary school. I went to elementary school where there was only one class in each grade. When we got together with other classes in the same grade, they were from other schools. And that did happen from time to time. Rural Outdoor School, anyone?

Again, enough about me. Jr. was excited because then it was "Jr. Time." While Nichole had her first day of school, Jr. got to choose what to do at home. We played Lego Star Wars on the Wii. We read some of "Lego Star Wars The Visual Dictionary," which we had checked out from the library. And after lunch Jr. watched Return of the Jedi. Can you sense a theme?

Like last year when we picked her up, Nichole didn't have a lot to say about the first day. Again calm, but we're sure she enjoyed herself.

My bigger girl.

4 comments:

  1. Love the rainbow brite/ black and green brite. So funny. Glad she did well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how it's spelled. I'd forgotten. Thanks, Rae. Brite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green and Black Brite. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First grade? It seems so BIG doesn't it? Sigh. I don't know what I'll do when they all go to school.

    ReplyDelete