Monday, August 29, 2011

My Parents, My Heroes

Recently I got to go to a family reunion. It was great to see aunts and uncles, cousins, cousins' kids, my sister and her kids. But something that was special for me (besides seeing all those great family members) was getting to see my parents.

My parents are my heroes. They have always been a great influence on me. They were very good role models to me growing up and still are.
I love that my mom was a stay-at-home mom. She was always there for us. She would even go on field trips with me. I loved that. I was never embarrassed by my parents. I loved being around them. I want to be like my mom. I realize I am becoming more like my mom, in appearance as well as temperament (*sheepish grin*). There have been so many times when dealing with my own children that something will come out of my mouth and I think, "That's exactly what my mom used to say to me when I was younger... and now I know why."


A lot of things my husband does reminds me of my dad, which is a very good thing. They are both good husbands, fathers, good Priesthood holders, and all around great guys.

While I turned to my mom more when I was younger, when I was a teenager and young adult, I was able to turn to my dad for more things dealing with life. I still feel I can turn to both my parents when I'm trying to figure out life and parenting. I even call my parents from time to time when I'm having a hard time with my children just so they can laugh at me. They don't do it to be mean. It's because they've been through the same things and know it will only last so long. Plus, when they laugh it's a stress reliever for me.
Both of my parents are good examples of how to support a spouse and I know that both my husband and I have learned things from them that help in our own marriage. My parents have always shown us a good example of continued courtship in marriage. Even with six children they took time for themselves and that shows with how comfortable they are with each other when all the kids are out of the home. They have always shown great love for their children and show that same love for their grandchildren.
My children adore their grandparents. My husband adores his in-laws. I adore my parents.
Thanks, Mom and Dad. You are my heroes.

5 comments:

  1. What a great post!! These kinds of things need to be put down in writing for future generations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your parents are amazing! You are so blessed and so lucky to have them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete