Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Kids, Get Out of the Yard

What would you tell the kids if you saw this in the yard?

"Get out of the yard.  Stay on the deck."

In a place where seeing deer and even moose in your yard are not uncommon, it wasn't a surprise when one of the kids said, "There's a raccoon in the yard."  We visited my cousin and his family in Wyoming recently and I was very impressed when the oldest child explained how he thought through and figured out that this was a raccoon.

"Oh, wow.  Yeah.  O.K.  Kids, get out of the yard.  Stay on the deck.  There's a raccoon over there by the shed.  It is a wild animal so we don't want to mess with it."

The kids did a really good job of listening and staying out of the yard.  A little while later my cousin's wife, Annie, came back from shopping and her son told her about the raccoon.  She came to the yard to see it.
"Is that a raccoon?"
When I looked back at the raccoon, this is what I saw.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.  Some cat trying to fool us into thinking it was a raccoon.  But c'mon, if you saw that, the shape of the body, coloring, ring tail, wouldn't you have deduced it was a raccoon?  Heh Heh Heh.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was a cat because one our neighbors has a cat with the same coloration. However, today I discovered a raccoon hiding under our deck by our koi pond. It growled at me as I walked across the deck. So I talked to it through the space in the boards until it was curious enough to peek at me. That's how I knew it was a raccoon and not a possum.

    ReplyDelete