Thursday, July 12, 2012

Eat Your Jello Day

O.K.  I live in Utah.  Growing up somewhere else, there was always a joke about Utahns putting weird things in their Jello.  Lime green Jello with grated carrots, anyone?
I'll be honest, I haven't seen that much weirdness with Jello since I've lived in Utah.  I'll admit to putting some mandarin oranges in my orange Jello as I let it sit and whipped topping on the top when it's done, but that doesn't seem so weird.  Does it?

Well, I do have something I want to try with Jello.  It's from the June/July 2012 issue of FamilyFun Magazine.  I couldn't find it on the website so I took a picture of the page in the magazine.

"Star-spangled Parfait."  You just layer red gelatin with whipped topping several times then make the last layer blue gelatin.  Simple, but it looks like fun.  What a great way to eat it.

What are some other creative ways you've seen Jello used?
Or weird ways?
And remember, July 12 is Eat Your Jello Day, so I want to hear edible ideas.


2 comments:

  1. I've made jello fruit snacks before:
    http://www.mommysavers.com/c/t/164335/dollar-store-crafts-homemade-fruit-snacks-from-100-juice

    The page has two fruit snacks recipes, one using fruit juice and one using jello.

    My Joshua loved helping me make them. Being not-quite-three, he couldn't do much, but it was still fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend said, "Years ago, in my singles ward at BYU, I was in charge of monthly post-fireside activities. One month I planned a Jellopalooza and everybody brought a different jello creation. I made two: one was a casserole dish of plain green jello with one giant whole carrot (stalk and all) resting in it; the other was a blue-jello-filled goldfish bowl with gummy fish swimming in it. I have never been so proud of any creative endeavor."

    ReplyDelete