Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Picky Eater

Maybe my mom will know this one. Was I this picky in this way when I was younger?


I was so thrilled the other day when I was going to fix dinner and Nichole said that she wanted broccoli and carrots. Hurray. I hope she actually eats them. So, we went to the frozen vegetables- Normandy Blend from Costco- anyone else get that? It's so handy. All vegetables that I will eat. Nichole let me know that she only wanted broccoli and orange carrots, not the other things. I let her know, well I will eat the yellow carrots and the cauliflower. So, we put them in a pot to steam while the rest of dinner was made.
When it was time to eat, I neatly divided up food for her in different sections on her plate. She often doesn't like her food mixed, whereas I'm the person who, at a buffet or potluck, will have things piled on top of each other, cherry pie running into my mashed potatoes. So, neatly divided into different sections. She let me know where to put the carrots and where to put the broccoli. Perfectly satisfied... until she was about to eat. Then she got upset because the vegetables were warm. Of course they were, we warmed them so we could eat them. She didn't want warm carrots and broccoli, she wanted them freezing. Sigh.
Well, I made her wait until I was done eating my carrots and broccoli and cauliflower, then I got the frozen vegetables back out of the freezer and gave her a few pieces. She was perfectly content. She ate them that way. And she was happy. She ate quite a few, too. She was picky enough to care about which vegetables she ate and how they were prepared. In this case- freezing. Sigh.

But what can you say? She's eating her vegetables, right? This is the girl, who for a long time, refused to eat something if it was green. She's eating that green broccoli now... as long as it's frozen.

1 comment: