Sunday, June 28, 2020

Summer Solstice

Back in April, I blogged about the Spring Equinox that happened in March and an open window and the book series, Fablehaven. Go check out my blog post from April 9, 2020.
This month we knew the Summer Solstice was coming up. We looked it up in the book and found out it's the night before the Solstice to be most wary or Midsummer's Eve. So we decided to make sure the windows were closed the night before and I told the kids they needed to get in their beds and stay there until morning. As often happens, we forgot about the windows until dark when I made Nichole close all of them. Some of the kids refused to listen to me about staying in their beds. You know what? We all made it through the night. Huh. I guess we don't live on a magical preserve.
For the first day of Summer itself, the kids and I had plans to have some fun outside time together. Since people stayed up too late and got up too late, we finally got out to enjoy the sunshine around 5pm. By that time, the clouds had rolled in (it was sunny earlier in the day) and we celebrated with the overcast sky. Oh, well. It was still warm and we had some nice discussion time and acted out stories and some other things to earn Summer reading badges.
Since June 20 was also National Vanilla Milkshake Day, I made vanilla milkshakes for the family. I expressed my thoughts on plain vanilla on this blog before so I added some nutmeg and cinnamon to my milkshake.

No comments:

Post a Comment