Thursday, January 24, 2019

Bird Nerds

Last year, Jeremy, Nichole, and I participated in a challenge to see lots of different birds in Utah, as well as going on field trips and to Utah County Birders meetings.
This evening, Jr., Nichole, Jeremy, and I went to a dinner for Utah County Birders where they awarded certificates and prizes for the challenge.  Based on points (birds have different points based on rarity- so the blue-footed booby Jeremy traveled to Lake Powell to see got him some decent points), Jeremy reached the silver level.  I reached the bronze level.  Nichole didn't reach the bronze level, but she got up a couple times at 4 o'clock in the morning to go on birding trips and was an active birder when she was able to so she received an honorable mention.  Joshua isn't quite there yet.  He just started a life list and hasn't done as much even as Nichole but he got to go to dinner with us.
As far as prizes go, Nichole got a wildlife calendar and Jeremy and I both got something we'd really been wanting.  We'd seen other birders with these license plate frames so we each picked out one for ourselves.

They say, "Utah County Birders" on the top and on the bottom, "I'd rather be birding."

We had a nice dinner and it's always nice to chat with other birders.  I felt like I knew quite a few of the people there. What a nice evening we had.


No comments:

Post a Comment