Thursday, October 8, 2026

My Reading-Journey Story

When I was a child, I loved books. I remember my mom reading Berenstain Bears books to me as well as many others. I still remember the voice she used for Mama. 
I remember enjoying the elementary school library where I had my first introduction to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl and of course many others.
I didn't have much access to my small town's public library as we lived outside of town so I only remember going to it a few times. I did, however, devour school library books throughout elementary school and middle school and part of high school.
My mom introduced me to Agatha Christie books and I would always take them to read when we went on vacation. I loved Agatha Christie.
As happens with some people, books became less fun for me when certain ones were assigned in high school. No offense to the those Charles Dickens fans out there but I did not like A Tale of Two Cities and it's possible I didn't even finish it.
So in high school and college, I was less of a book worm.
After I got married and started having children, I discovered my love of books again. My husband and I read to our children when they were young and since he also loves reading, it's no surprise that all of our children developed a love of books.
For many years I loved mysteries with a hint of romance or other genres with a hint of romance. I was wary of anything in the "romance" genre because I was worried about content. My high school friends understood if I asked if something was "Kristin appropriate." I didn't like being exposed to foul language or crude/inappropriate jokes.
Then years ago I was introduced to a new genre of "clean romance" books. I read Julianne Donaldson's book, Edenbrooke, and loved how the main characters became friends before realizing their love for each other, probably because it echoed my own love story with my husband. 
I read some other books from time to time like that, including Seeking Persephone by Sarah M. Eden, so many years later when they announced they wanted to make a movie of it, I jumped at the chance to support the project and I was not disappointed with the result.
In the last few years, I've grown to love clean romances more than I did those many years ago. There are so many books out there that are "Kristin appropriate." I'm grateful for the authors who write them.
I've become more of a book worm again and have enjoyed getting into lot of different types, not just clean romances. I even have some cookbooks based on books.
I've gotten involved with book clubs, library programs, author events.

Sometimes I do them on my own, sometimes I drag family members with me. We all get involved in Summer Reading programs with local libraries.
I've learned how great it is to interact with authors and learned to value supporting them in different ways, whether that's taking a look at a Timmy Termite book for Stephanie Goodman to give my opinion before it's published or posting on social media over and over about how much I love A Lady's Guide to Love and Pirates by Jennifer Moore.
It's been quite a reading journey getting to where I am but it has been good for me and I can genuinely say I LOVE BOOKS!   

No comments:

Post a Comment