Monday, September 14, 2026

National Literacy Month

September is National Literacy Month. You know I usually don't keep track of whole month celebrations. I do Shelftember every year, though, and I guess I try to Light the World in December. O.K. So sometimes I do whole month celebrations, even though throughout most of the rest of the year I stick to one day celebrations at a time. Sigh. Whatever. Consistent. Not consistent. Who cares?
The point is this year I found out Shadow Mountain Publishing has calendars of literacy activities for National Literacy Month. There's an adult calendar, a YA calendar, a middle-grade calendar, and a children's calendar. We've got the spread in our family so I printed the calendars out and made them available for my family members. I do like reading challenges. 
I personally have been doing the literacy activities for the adult calendar and doing the literacy activities with Jet for the children's calendar. The other kids can do what they want. I have them available should they wish to use them. #LiteracyAtEveryAge
This is what Jet and I did the first few days of September (in order of adult calendar and children's calendar):
 
September 1 Set a reading goal for September 
Enter children's book giveaway

September 2 Read for 20 minutes
Let your child pick tonight's story

September 3 Read a chapter with a friend
Read a book about animals
This also works for Orem Library's September book club.


September 4 Read a chapter from a new genre
Make funny voices for every character
 
September 5 Share a favorite book recommendation
Read together for 10 minutes  

No comments:

Post a Comment