Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pizza Muffins

Some people asked how Nichole and I made pizza muffins, so I figured I’d tell about it here. First I’d like to give some background about myself. I’m not a bad cook and I’m not bad at baking, however, I’d always been intimidated by using yeast. Whenever we made rolls or pizza dough, my husband was the one to make them. I was afraid of not getting the water at the perfect temperature as I had always heard it would kill the yeast if it was too hot. Fall 2008 I took a bread making class at our church building. A mother and daughter team from Pantry Secrets, a small business based in Utah County, came to teach us about their bread dough recipe. A versatile recipe that can be used for so many more things than just bread. I learned that in their recipe, you use hot tap water and guess what… it doesn’t kill the yeast. I instantly became a fan of this bread recipe and I’ve been making bread as well as using this dough for other things ever since. Jeremy got me their DVD for Christmas and I’ve been using the tips in there for so many dough projects from cinnamon rolls to hamburger buns. You can learn more at www.pantrysecrets.net
Now that I’ve got my little testimonial out of the way, I’m going to put the basic bread recipe on here. If anyone finds out that I’m not supposed to do that, let me know, but as far as I know it’s okay. I’m letting you know where it’s from and telling you that I am very pleased with this.

[I’ll add my own comments in brackets]

Pantry Secrets Homemade Bread Recipe [this is written for use with a Bosch mixer or Kitchen Aid, neither of which I have, so I do it by hand]
10 ½ cups white bread flour or wheat flour (do not use all-purpose flour)
½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
3 rounded Tablespoons saf-instant yeast
3 Tablespoon liquid lecithin* [soy lecithin is an emulsifier, I think. Instead of using oil, lecithin is used. It is shelf-stable and does not go rancid like oil does after a while]
4 cups hot tap water
Mix dry ingredients [I do it in a big bowl with a mixing spoon]. Add lecithin and water. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. If dough is too moist, add more flour. Mix for 5 minutes [or dump it out of the bowl onto a sprayed with cooking spray surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes]. (Do not add water or flour to the dough after it has finished mixing.) Spray counter and pans with Pam. Shape loaves and cover with a dish towel. Let raise 25 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. This recipe makes four loaves of bread.
*Squeeze or pour approximately 3 Tablespoons of lecithin directly into the bowl. Do not measure [they said the lecithin is too hard to clean off mixing spoons, so that’s why they say don’t measure].
For whole wheat bread, use the same recipe but add one cup of applesauce as part of the hot tap water. Mix for ten minutes.

Now for Nichole’s and my part. We divided up the kneaded dough into the four loaves. Two were wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for later use in rolled out doughs. One loaf was divided up into hoagie type buns (and Nichole’s contribution of her sort of kneaded dough). The last loaf was divided up into a bunch of rounds rolled out. I let them sit for a bit while working on baking the hoagies and gathering pizza toppings.



Then I rolled the rounds out again (After they had raised a little while sitting, they rolled out even bigger). Now came the toppings. Each got a little bit of tomato sauce, then a sprinkling of garlic powder and Italian seasoning, followed by some cut up pepperoni and pieces of olives, topped with mozzarella cheese.

I gathered up the edges at the top and pinched them together, then put them in a muffin tin. I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes.


Pizza muffins. Yum.

Of course this is the dough I use because it doesn't intimidate me, but other doughs you're comfortable with will work.

6 comments:

  1. ooo, these look SO yummy! I am going to have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally intimidated by yeast too but this recipe looks do-able to me. I might just have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you buy the lecithin? I used to be intimidated by yeast, too, but have always had it work with warm-hot tap water. Now I just have to get over my aversion to rolling things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our local Macey's grocery store in Pleasant Grove recently started carrying soy lecithin. I'm not sure if the one in Orem does, but that's where Jeremy bought the DVD for me. At the class, the ladies mentioned that you might be able to get soy lecithin at health food stores, but we couldn't find what we were looking for when we were originally trying to find it. Pantry Secrets sells it through their website. But Kelly, if you want to try it, it would be a good excuse for us to come visit you and bring you some. Oh, and for me first starting out- a 32 oz bottle of lecithin lasted me about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just looked at the Pantry Secrets website. I guess they don't ship their products right now. But if you live in Utah Valley, you can pick them up in Pleasant Grove. But a lot of you don't live in Utah Valley. If anybody finds out if they sell liquid soy lecithin that can be used for baking bread at a health food store near you, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI: I have the same recipe and LOVE IT! Sometimes if my friends can't find lecithin... I tell them to use 1/2 cup of oil! From one baker to another... may your bread always rise...

    ReplyDelete