Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Rambling Before the Brambling

Jeremy invited us to get up early on Saturday, March 9, to go see a once in a lifetime bird. Brambling. A bird you are likely to find in Europe and Asia but not in the Continental United States (they can be seen on the Aleutian Islands of Alaska).
Because I am a morning person, I talked a lot on the 1 1/2 hour drive there. Jeremy said I was rambling before the brambling.

The brambling was in someone's backyard and they gave permission for people to come see the bird. So when we got there, there were quite a few other birders who came soon after us and around the same time. It was awesome. It was cold but it was awesome. And so worth it. All of us who went (besides Jet, who would chase all the birds away if we let him out of the van so we took turns in the van with him) got to see it and Nichole got a couple good pictures. Our camera was dying and our new camera didn't come the day before like it was supposed to. Sigh.

I took my turn in the van with Jet first. I looked at juncos in the nearby bushes while the others were getting glimpses of the brambling. I was just sitting there looking out the windshield when all of a sudden a bird with a black head landed in the tree right in front of me. It had some coloring to it and I made the comment, "That's not a junco." I used my binoculars to see that it was indeed a brambling. I used my phone and got a really bad picture but I saw it. 
I did get a chance to get out of the van for a better look with binoculars later. So cool. It kind of looks like a spotted towhee but it isn't one.
Here's one of Nichole's pictures.
 
Well, that was a big deal birding trip. It was like when we went to see the Great Gray Owl in 2017. It was great.
Jet insisted he and Nichole wear the earphones but they weren't connected to anything.
 
That wasn't the end of our day, however. Oh no, it wasn't. Jr. was in the pit orchestra for "Beauty and the Beast" again this year, just at his own high school instead of another high school in town.
Jeremy took Lucky to the matinee that afternoon and I took Nichole to the evening performance. We had friends sit by us and other friends we got to chat with during intermission and after the play.
I'm proud of how hard Jr. worked again and I was happy to support him and other people in the cast (one of the dancers in the play is a neighbor).
Since March 9 was National Meatball Day and Get Over It Day, I was heard to say, "Get over it, you meatball," that day (it's tradition).
I made Mexican Meatballs from "A Season of Family Meal Plans" volume 1 along with Creamy Potato Soup (from the same book). Jet helped me make Italian Bread Bowls (not from that book but from Mel's Kitchen Cafe). Some of the bread bowls were more rounded and some were a little flatter (thanks, Jet). That's what you get from my baking buddy, though. He did help clean up the table and do dishes afterward, though.
He was such a big helper, he helped himself to one of the "big rolls" when they were done. I'd say he earned it.

March 9 was also Popcorn Lover's Day but we didn't have popcorn until the next day while we were celebrating Mario Day (MAR10) by playing Mario video games.
Before video games, we went to support my niece who just got home from her mission and gave a talk in her ward. Then we spent time at my sister's house with family. You know I love family

No comments:

Post a Comment