Friday, July 21, 2023

Avalanche

Let's talk Bridal Veil Falls. I love Bridal Veil Falls. Because of avalanche danger it is closed from November 1-May 1. Some years you can see why.
It has become tradition for me to visit Bridal Veil Falls as close to the end of October and the beginning of May as possible. It's fun.
This year, however, since there was an avalanche in January (I mentioned that in my blog post on June 2), when I went for a drive on May 1, the road that goes down past the falls was closed. Even the viewpoint was closed. A few days later, I went again. The lower road was still closed but the viewpoint was open.
I could see why the lower road was still closed.

Note, this was a few months after the avalanche occurred. The snow and debris went all the way across the base of the falls, the Provo River Parkway, the river itself, across the parking area, all the way to that lower road. Wow.
I could just see the river cutting its way through the area.

I've visited a few times since. In May there were more and more holes opening up in the snow/ice all the time and the river was cutting its way through more and more.


 

When I visited in June the river had cut all the way through and I could see where the trail used to be.
I haven't visited in July yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment