Friday, June 24, 2022

Late Night Owling Trip

One of my birding friends invited me to go on a late night owling trip with her and some others. Of course I said yes.
We saw a couple flammulated owls, lifer for me (I did a toned down lifer dance this time- see my posts from April 2 and May 12 this year), and heard a bunch. Every time we stopped, we heard 1-3 flammies calling.
I couldn't get the greatest pictures but they are so cute and little. We also saw a whole bunch of moths (and felt a few in our hair and faces) which is what those owls like to eat.

We also saw elk, heard a male elk bugling, saw a snowshoe hair, and saw the moon shining through the trees. We also heard a common poorwill but it never got in sight for us (also small birds).
It was a great late night trip and I thank my friend for inviting me.
 
P.S. I have now seen 10 different species of owl in the wild in Utah. Whoa.




No comments:

Post a Comment